Sunday, April 3, 2016

Trading Pokémon With Passerbys

You're zooming along your business in XY or ORAS and you hear it.  That little blip. A cheerful yellow card appears on your lower 3DS screen informing you that Passerby So-and-So wants to trade. Depending on who you are, you react with joy... or you turn your smile upside down.





NO.  I always click NO.  I know what you might be thinking.  Are you a grinch, Court.Fool? I don't know. Maybe?

 I find Passerby trades absolutely useless, and they never wind up making me feel good about my trading experience.  Here's why...

Passerby Trading Scenario One: The Boast





Ooooh. You have an Event Pokémon.  How nice for you.  Yes. Nice Genesect. Very nice.  Oooh, a shiny legendary. You must be very proud.  I would be. I have absolutely nothing that would tempt you to part with these.  Nor do I think you want to part with them.  Yeah, I'm definitely getting the feeling that nothing would tempt you away from your pokémon.  Okay, maybe one thing is on your mind.  But how the hell am I supposed to know what that one thing is??? What are you asking me for?!?!?

Passerby Trading Scenario Two: The Low-Ball




Wow. You have a Wooper.  That's... wow.  That's worth a... a Zubat?  Would you like a Zubat for that? What do you want exactly?

Passerby Trading Scenario Three: The Ghost




Okay, you're flipping through your boxes I see... Aaaand you've stopped flipping through your boxes... I'm thinking you — yeah, you don't want to trade anymore.  WHAT WAS THE POINT, THEN?

Passerby Trading Scenario Four: The Tit-for-Tat




Oh, you're showing me a Psyduck.  I'll attempt to communicate with you by showing you my own Psyduck.  See, now you know I don't need that.  I'll show you my Goodra.  I had to wait a long time for rain to evolve this Goodra.  Do you have one? Oh. You do. Um. What is it you want, again?

Passerby Trading Scenario Five: The Trade



Fuck.  Just. Just take this. Take it! There. I hope you're happy. Was that even what we both wanted?!?

The Bottom Line


In every scenario there is a fundamental flaw... THERE IS NO WAY TO KNOW WHAT PEOPLE WANT.  Sure there's the shout-out, but if you're approached by someone, there's no chance to see that...

QUESTION FOR YOU: Am I wrong?


No comments:

Post a Comment