Thursday, April 7, 2016

The Story of How I Accidentally Stole a Yveltal and What Happened After

One of my crazy stories that I haven't yet written down for everyone is how I accidentally pokénapped the Yveltal of a very nice girl who I've never met before.

Chapter One: The Kidnapping


We met on Casual Trades on Reddit when we were both finishing our Kalos Dexes.  She (kp3) kindly offered to help me tradeback a list of pokemon.





We got to it, but during the course of our trading and simultaneous message board communication, I became convinced that kp3 was wanting to give me her Yveltal — as a gift! I know, I know.


Why would I think that? 

Well, there was so much confusion regarding which pokemon we each wanted to keep and which were going to stay with the other. At one point, kp3 wrote, "You can keep it!" and though I later realized that she was talking about my Magnezone I wanted to gift to her, at the time I assumed she was referring to her Yveltal.

Also to blame, my computer running out of juice at the end of our trade.  And my charge cord failing to work. Believing the trade was over, with my computer dead, I went downstairs to fill up my coffee mug and to complain to my family about my cord.

I took my time.  

Then, I went back upstairs to get on my little brick of a phone, to log into Reddit on it, contact kp3, and thank her.

What I found on Reddit... was dismaying.

Kp3 was freaking out.  "Where's my Yveltal!" She was writing. "Give him back!"



I knew immediately that I'd made a huge mistake.  

I fumbled some text to the message board saying that my computer had died, just at the end of the trade, making me confused about what was going on.  Of course I'd return Yveltal! 

On the 3DS, kp3 was frantically initiating a trade session.  "Yvelta!" her 3DS messages read. "RETURN YVELTAL!"

With shaking hands, the hands of a pokénapper, I clicked on Yveltal to trade back to his mommy.... only to get an error message.

"Because the pokémon has an HM, you can't trade the pokémon!" the error message read.

What?! I had never heard of such a thing but there it was.  I needed to delete Fly in order to trade Yveltal.

I tapped out a message on my phone to kp3 explaining about the HM problem.

"I have to leave to go somewhere," she wrote back, sounding extremely resigned.  "Please return Yveltal later." She embellished the message with the saddest sad emoticon I'd ever seen. :(

Determined to make things right, I headed to Dendemille Town to visit the Move Deleter.  In two seconds, Fly was deleted and I was ready to try again to return Yveltal.  But kp3 hadn't told me when she'd be back!! Fuck!



I imagined all sorts of reasons why she had to leave.  She had to run an errand for her mother.  She had to attend a fancy dinner party.  She had to go to school.  I had no idea where she was in the world and what time it was for her.  

In my own life, I was on family vacation.  Noticing that I looked stressed, my mom asked me what was up.  I told her the story.  She knows absolutely zero about games.  I tried to explain the situation, calling Yveltal, "valuable, digital gaming property."

She looked totally bemused.  "It'll work itself out, honey.  You'll get that thing back to her."

I waited with bated breath by my 3ds for well over an hour, freaking out.  Not only would this situation ruin my online poké-reputation, but I didn't want to do this to a player who'd been so generous, or to another person, period. I was stressing, big time. "Will Return Yveltal!!!" I typed into my 3DS's message system, and waited.

Then, I heard a blip on my 3DS.  Kp3 had gotten online and immediately had initiated a trade! With crossed fingers, I moved the now HM-less Yveltal to the trade box.  


It sent!

Thankful to the poké-gods, I sent kp3 a message on Reddit, apologizing and relating my relief that the nightmare was over.

"It's all good!" she practically chirped.  "All of this would never have happened if the 3DS had a simple PM system!"

And that is the story of how I was a pokénapper for about 2 hours.


Chapter Two: The Gifts


Funnily enough, though, after that debacle, kp3 and I stayed friends on the 3DS.  She's frequently playing Pokémon when I am and her icon is very familiar to me.  It always makes me happy to see her avatar lit up on my screen...

A few weeks after the Yveltal kidnapping and return, I started up this blog, Poké Xanadu, to document my Living Dex Mission.  As my handful of readers know, I've been having trouble getting my hands on two additional Moon Stones.  I've been annoyed/concerned about it for days.  It's been bugging me that my Box Two isn't complete, and I have no simple prospects of acquiring a Nidoqueen and Nidoking.

Well, last night, something AWESOME happened.  

I have crazy insomnia and am prescribed a sleep aid, which I take most nights.  Last night, I took a pill and was playing Pokémon, kind of out of it, in preparation for getting tired.

I was getting sleepy, about to put the 3DS down for the night, when one of my friends asked to trade.  I clicked "Yes." 

Immediately, the friend pulled up a pokemon.  It was a cute, but generic pokemon... but it was holding a Moon Stone.

IT WAS HOLDING A MOON STONE!!!!

Um, YES.  I hit "TRADE."

I received the pokémon with the stone. I was GIDDY. But then, the friend brought up another pokémon for trade. ANOTHER MOON STONE!

Dizzy, not believing my luck, I traded one of my favorite pokes, a high-leveled Luvdisc, as a way to try to express my gratitude.  I'D GOTTEN THOSE FREAKING MOON STONES THROUGH AN ACT OF RANDOM GENEROSITY!! Then I headed for my shiny Sylveon.  I was flush with gratitude and sleeping aid. I wanted to give it to the friend... Must. Give. Shiny Sylveon.

But the friend had already ended the trade.  She'd just given me two Moon Stones without expecting anything in return.

I tried very hard, using my pill-addled brain, to register and deconstruct what had just happened.  

  • It couldn't be random.
  • The friend had to read my blog to know I needed two Moon Stones.
  • The friend icon looked a lot like kp3.
  • Kp3 must follow my blog, somehow.
  • She'd seen that I needed Moon Stones on my blog and had given them to me, despite us having a history of MY STEALING HER YVELTAL (accidentally, but whatever.)
  • Kp3 WAS THE MOST AWESOME, MOST GENEROUS TRAINER EVERRRRR!!!!
Knowing that I couldn't really trust my summations due to the sleep aid, I pulled up the record of our old trade on Reddit and PM'ed kp3.  

"Was that YOU who just traded me two Moon Stones just now?!!?!" I asked.

Shortly after, I received a reply.  It said, basically:

"Yeah.  I saw your shout out on the 3DS to visit Poke Xanadu.  I saw you needed those for your Living Dex. Good luck with your mission!"

...

WOAH. 

Days ago, I had changed my Shout Out on Pokemon X to read "VISIT PokeXanadu!" Kp3 had seen it, figured out that I meant a website, and must have googled it.

I was, and still am, just blown away.

Kp3 is basically the coolest, most generous, and forgiving person. 

I was right to start a blog for this Mission because amazing things like this will happen.


T H A N K    Y O U   KP3 ! ! !

2 comments: